Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Discovering the Sun


I was taught to believe nothing would ever change
Except for by some miracle things could possibly still get worse
I discovered “rock bottom” had further to fall
The concept of hope had no meaning at all

I saw others around me experiencing life
Nothing ever seemed to go wrong for them
I was bitterly jealous knowing they didn’t deserve it
Yet they got sunshine while I was stuck in a dark pit

I exhausted my options trying to figure things out
Looking for ways to alter my mood or my mind
I chased every pleasure that came into view
Whatever might numb my intense pain I would do

I had many a demon haunting me at night
And my days were troubled by the cares of this world
I had to eat and find shelter to survive
My most basic needs caused the most compromise

So forgive me if I tell your preachers to stuff it
I believe my experience over your stupid babble
Nothing you say can affect how I feel
I don’t need your religion, I need something real

If only I knew love could overcome fear
And that I can learn to love myself even if no one else does
Then maybe I could stand firm every time I want to run
It’s the only sure way to discover the sun

No comments:

Post a Comment